Saturday, January 18, 2014

Guerlain Ecrin 2 Couleurs in 06 Two Parisian Swatches and Review

When Guerlain released their latest Ecrin 2 couleurs eyeshadow, I wasn't particularly thrilled at the color combinations (I stayed on the 'safe' side when it comes to eyeshadows, ho!). I played with the testers at the counter with Elaine and I dipped my finger to the pink shade in 06 Two Parisian, it was soooo soft the shadow crumbled right under my index finger. Needless to say it created a mess to clean up (lol) but I was hooked by this shade thereafter.

Apart from 06 Two Parisian (the matte black looks a bit intimidating to me at first), 04 Two Gossip enchanted me with the gold and purple (but decidedly a bit too warm for my skintone). After some pondering, I made the safest decision to go with 06 Two Parisian.

 

Two Parisian consists of a matte black, and a shimmery, bordering glittery cotton candy pink. Even though I venture into the safer side of the color spectrum when it comes to eyeshadows, I do like my shadows to have a stark contrast (like a pale gold with dark bronze, you get the idea). Two Parisian clearly fits the bill!



The matte dark is smooth and pigmented, the cotton candy pink shade leans a bit chalky, it's soft for sure, but it's a sheer wash of pink. It borders on being glittery for me. An eyeshadow primer is a MUST for this shade. The chunky bits tend to fall off from the lids if there's no base for it to adhere with.


If you really want to use both shades as a stark contrast to create deep set eyes, I suggest using another pastel pink, or cotton candy pink shade from your other palettes/eyeshadows as a base color first, and then add this borderline-glittery pink from the duo on top for some oomph. The contrast would be more obvious.


Here I wore the cotton candy pink all over lid (notice the shimmer/glitter) with NARS Smudgeproof eyeshadow base, and I added the matte black along the lash line and blend. After blending it actually looks a tad bit purple there. The matte black blends well and this is my first time trying to layer light/dark shade in a upper lid/lower lid method. Normally I wear shades in a left/right corner lid manner. But I think using that left/right method will waste the duo's potential.


06 Two Parisian is a right pick for me as I don't have anything close to this contrast in my stash, but I wish the pink shade could be improved. 04 Two Gossip however does not have this problem, I guess that's because both the gold and purple aren't created for glittery-on-top-for-extra-dimension purpose. I wish more interesting color combos would be released by Guerlain!

8 comments:

  1. You know the way you describe that glitter shade reminds me a lot of JS's glitter shades from their compacts! You know the two paler shades (not from the Velvet Crystal Eyes) at the left of the palette, they are soft crumbly glitters with a sheer base too! The 2012 xmas collection's palette reminds me the most of that kind of glitter. More and more western brands are trying to copy japanese ones now! You know Dior's glitter pans are extremely similar to Kose's and Kanebo's various brands' glitters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL i sincerely hope not many brands would catch up with this 'trend' - this trend is actually equivalent to mediocre quality of shadows XD soft but not decently-pigmented, has fall out. I do quite like the glitter pans found in certain Clarins palette (holiday one last year) and a few in dior quints!!! the asian brands should learn from western brands in terms of pigmentation IMO.

      Delete
  2. I love Guerlain but their eyeshadows can be a little lacking. For the price point, I expect them to be able to fly hahaha

    Off topic but what mascara are you using? Your lashes are so long and lush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wasn't using mascara here lol too lazy for that. But I do use lash treatment/conditioning product (see my review on Talika lipocils expert) :) i literally can't stop using it since i started - it has made my lashes much longer and fuller than before. it's pretty pricey but is totally worth it for 6 months' use!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I wonder why eyeshadows differ so much from one line: you blame the glitter in the pink shade but still...I love the name Two Parisians and I can see why you like this bold combination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Two Gossip has the best texture out of them all (the new duos) :P

      Delete
  4. omg the packaging is absoloutely exquisite! I loveee gold!

    tzeyien89.blogspot.co.uk xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe the compact is totally solid and weighty!!

      Delete

LOVE to hear what you think <3 I'll try my best to respond to every comment!